After many years of negotiations with the monks of Montevergine, the bones were returned to the city of Naples in 1497.
The imposing lower vestibule, with ceilings measuring up to 6 metres high, houses a large baptismal font commissioned by Bishop Paul II, who took refuge in the Catacombs of San Gennaro in the eighth century during iconoclastic struggles.
Starting with the tomb, changes began to be made to the level above it, with the creation of an area reserved for the burial of bishops and of basilicas, larger spaces than the other chapels reserved for the common deceased.
Before reaching their final "home" in Naples Cathedral, the remains of San Gennaro were moved several times to various parts of Campania.
Naples is one of the clearest examples of cities where history can be traced through its "layers".
The Greek Neapolis and the present-day city are not separated by millennia but but metres of soil under the ground.